Share
View previous topicGo downView next topic
avatar
Posts : 74
Join date : 2017-09-04
Age : 25
Location : Lahore Pakistan
View user profile

Effect of smartphone on your brain

on Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:25 am
It has been proven from studies that the presence of smartphone reduces your cognitive capacity and impairs your cognitive functioning, even when present in vicinity or turned off.
newswise.com/articles/the-mere-presence-of-your-smartphone-reduces-brain-power-study-shows
avatar
Posts : 29
Join date : 2017-09-03
View user profile

Re: Effect of smartphone on your brain

on Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:53 pm
How do the 'cell' phones rate into this? You know, those old t9 texting nightmare flip phones.
Ms. Chandra
Guest

Hmmm, maybe / maybe not

on Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:51 pm
I would say that the presence o their smartphone (even when they cannot see or hear updates and notices coming in) serves as more of a distraction to their attention than an actual reduction in cognitive function.
avatar
Posts : 1
Join date : 2017-09-14
Age : 38
Location : Bakersfield, California
View user profilehttps://plus.google.com/+AnthonyMaples

Re: Effect of smartphone on your brain

on Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:42 am
Smart device puts out unrecognizable frequencies to the brain which is why we finds ourselves confuse and turn to the smartphone for answers.
avatar
Posts : 74
Join date : 2017-09-04
Age : 25
Location : Lahore Pakistan
View user profile

Re: Effect of smartphone on your brain

on Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:30 pm
Colorsmith wrote:How do the 'cell' phones rate into this? You know, those old t9 texting nightmare flip phones.
Lol brother those nightmare flip phones were a distraction but smart phones are
avatar
Posts : 74
Join date : 2017-09-04
Age : 25
Location : Lahore Pakistan
View user profile

Re: Effect of smartphone on your brain

on Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:32 pm
Ms. Chandra wrote:I would say that the presence o their smartphone (even when they cannot see or hear updates and notices coming in) serves as more of a distraction to their attention than an actual reduction in cognitive function.
It surely distract me even if I put it out of my sight
Posts : 8
Join date : 2017-09-18
View user profile

Re: Effect of smartphone on your brain

on Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:26 pm
Beware of "studies" like this. This is not science.

1. There is no randomization test. The results might be an accident of the way data was gathered.
2. No confidence interval. Was the difference big enough and validated by the sample size?
3. Methodology is weak. Just MENTIONING your cell phone is going to have you think about it. For example, try real hard, very had right now, not to imagine a pink elephant.
4. No causal connection between the observed effect and the experimental variable. Se the story below.
5. Not double blind. Both the experimenters and the test subject knew the purpose of the experiment.

This kind of study is ALWAYS intended as propaganda. In real science, there is no such thing as "proving a result". If you get a positive result, you have a data point in the way the universe works. If you get a negative result, you have a different data point. Both are equally valuable.

There once was a study that showed a strong positive correlation between the length of the joint in one's thumb and raw score on an IQ test. The data was clear and irrefutable. The confidence interval was high. Of course, it was a joke. Raw IQ score is not corrected for age. Neither was joint length. What was really being measured was the relation between the size of children's fingers and their ability to comprehend a test. Yes, children have smaller fingers. What a shock....

Beware of "studies"!
avatar
Posts : 74
Join date : 2017-09-04
Age : 25
Location : Lahore Pakistan
View user profile

Re: Effect of smartphone on your brain

on Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:12 pm
kenlbear wrote:Beware of "studies" like this.  This is not science.

1.  There is no randomization test.  The results might be an accident of the way data was gathered.
2.  No confidence interval.  Was the difference big enough and validated by the sample size?
3.  Methodology is weak.  Just MENTIONING your cell phone is going to have you think about it.  For example, try real hard, very had right now, not to imagine a pink elephant.
4.  No causal connection between the observed effect and the experimental variable.  Se the story below.
5.  Not double blind.  Both the experimenters and the test subject knew the purpose of the experiment.

This kind of study is ALWAYS intended as propaganda.  In real science, there is no such thing as "proving a result".  If you get a positive result, you have a data point in the way the universe works.  If you get a negative result, you have a different data point.  Both are equally valuable.

There once was a study that showed a strong positive correlation between the length of the joint in one's thumb and raw score on an IQ test.  The data was clear and irrefutable.  The confidence interval was high.  Of course, it was a joke.  Raw IQ score is not corrected for age.  Neither was joint length.  What was really being measured was the relation between the size of children's fingers and their ability to comprehend a test.  Yes, children have smaller fingers.  What a shock....

Beware of "studies"!
I will like to tell you this is information from a published paper not merely Wikipedia, you need to follow some recent Science sites rather than going to Wikipedia.
Sponsored content

Re: Effect of smartphone on your brain

View previous topicBack to topView next topic
Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum